Thursday 4 September 2014

Courageous?

Claudia posed an interesting question -  asking if I left out the adjective courageous when I declared myself optimistic.

I think that we tend to collect adjectives as we gain mileage and I also believe adjectives fall into two categories: 1) Self-imposed adjectives  and 2) Adjectives awarded by others (often not-positive -  think of the last person that cut you off when driving). I think courage, which most people consider a positive trait, more often falls in the adjectives awarded by others category. 

The people that I know who are truly courageous tell me it that when the going is tough, courage feels a lot like just putting one metaphorical foot in front of the other until going gets easier. A lot like how we deal with speed bumps.

So Claudia, I would answer you by saying I don't consider myself courageous. However I am going back to teaching today. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely said, Laura. I'm a bigger fan these days of one-foot-in-front-of-the-other than I ever thought I'd be ;-)

    ReplyDelete