Sunday 23 November 2014

Speed Bump Overcome

The nice thing about speed bumps is we can get cross over them. In my last post I wrote that I had a major life speed bump. I am lucky.  I am lucky ... and I am just ... well ... lucky.

I have a heart condition called atrial fibrillation. Many people live with this condition. It causes my heart to adopt irregular beating patterns, and when it does this I have no exercise tolerance and I am tired.  I first experienced this in 2005, and in 2009 I had this condition surgically corrected.  This was good. Unfortunately, however the extra channels which supply electrical impulses to the heart grow back over time. A return of atrial fibrillation was  the cause of my stoke last May and was the cause of my latest speed bump last month.

 I AM lucky. In 2005 - 2009 I was running a horse business with 30 horses to look after, and lessons, trail rides and other activities. It was very hard to perform that job with no exercise tolerance. Now I am teaching post secondary studies, I need brainpower -  not physical strength. My brainpower is working just fine (I had it tested after the stroke). I can do my job regardless of my exercise tolerance. I also happen to love my teaching job.

 Last week, my heart slipped back into normal rhythm. It could stay that way for many months, or go out tomorrow. If it stays in an irregular pattern it can be surgically corrected again.  But regardless of the beating pattern, I can still do my job and contribute! I am so very fortunate.  So ... full steam ahead ... regardless of the extra beats life throws my way.

What does this mean for the Connect courses MOOC? Well I have been lurking on the course for the past month, and I will continue on with lurking and participating when appropriate.

Onwards ... Laura

1 comment:

  1. Laura, I just saw your post pop up in the Ccourses stream and wanted to comment: we are part of the tribe of Lauras in Connected Courses after all! I am glad that you are past the speed bump... I'm guessing it must feel better to have your heart beating steady. It is amazing the things surgeons can do (I had a miracle visit to the eye surgeon for an emergency this summer)... but still: hospitals are not fun. Getting to wake up in the morning to the day you want to have is better! If you are looking for an inspiring way to get back into the Connected Courses whirl, one of the videos for the unit that is just finishing up, the one on colearning, is my favorite of the videos that I have watched so far - maybe you would like it too! So many specific examples, and so moving too!
    Successful Co-Learning
    Welcome back...!!!

    ReplyDelete